©2018 by Alex Judge Sews. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Alex

Centurion Linden Hack​



Recently I saw a sweatshirt in green and gold from Hush and fell in love with the colour combination, which I thought would work well with my colouring. I realised that this was the perfect if not only ever opportunity for me to conflate my two hobbies of sewing and football. I am a massive Manchester City FC fan, and as no doubt, you'll know last season not only did we win the Premier League we did it with a record-breaking 100 points. #centurions. So, it was an easy decision to use the number 100 for the gold part. MCFC, by the way, do have some seriously cool clothing, but only for the men, the women's hmm not so much.



Green is probably my favourite colour, and I’m always on the lookout for deep green fabric, so I knew it wasn’t going to be easy to find the sweatshirting fabric I wanted, so I settled for this French Terry from Girl Charlee. I did a lot of thinking about the gold fabric for the numbers as I really wanted something with a bit of stretch and a good weight to it. Then I remembered the vegan leather also from Girl Charlee which has a soft spandex backing so was happy to find they do a matt gold and sell it by the half metre. I hadn't used the vegan leather before or done any appliqué, so the whole thing was a bit experimental.


I found the best way to ensure the spacing was even was to fold the front fabric in half and give it a light press to give me the centre front. Then I folded a photocopy of the numbers in half so I could line the two up. I also marked the top line on the fabric right side using a sliver of soap so I knew it would wash out. On the wrong side I interfaced the area using an iron on stretch interfacing.


This was the first time I'd used Bondaweb, but I found it to be pretty straightforward, you just trace onto the paper side (If I'd used letters I'd have had to mirror them, but in this case it wasn't necessary). I ironed the Bondaweb onto the wrong side of the vegan leather very lightly and very carefully as I was concerned about it melting, once it cooled down I cut out the numbers. They weren't perfect, but I figured the stitching over the edges would distract the eye.


I ironed each number onto the fabric right side separately, being careful to line them up and matching the spacing on my print out. Then I stitched around each letter, using my walking foot and a ball point needle, which worked a treat. The stitching isn't perfect by any means, but I think works pretty well.


After a quick, careful press on the wrong side all I had to do was make up the Linden sewing pattern, which was nice and simple to do.



I'm delighted with how it turned out, so much so that I wore it to my first ever sewing meet up Sew Up North this weekend. Although I'd initially wanted sweatshirt fabric, I love how soft this French Terry feels I pre-washed it and threw it in the tumble dryer with no problems. I posted on The Fold Line Facebook group to see if anyone had seen any green sweatshirting and there were a few suggestions of online shops, so I'll add them below. I'll definitely make some more, I think the next version will have a thumb hole which will be really useful when I go to Yoga.


Pin and Sew

Like Sew Amazing

Bobbins & Bolts

231 views