Spring has sprung in Manchester, it's my favourite time of year my mood elevates the air is full of promise, and there are daffodils everywhere. I'm always looking for an excuse to sew so the improved weather got me thinking about what I could make. I'd bought a few fabrics from Sew Me Sunshine including this Peeping Peony crepe which was just asking to be made into something summery, but we're not at the summer dress stage just yet so I found myself thinking about shirts. I've made a few shirts recently, and I found myself feeling a bit meh about making another one, so I looked around to see what I could find that was shirt-ish without the faff.
As the #so50visible challenge is going strong on Instagram, I wanted to continue to support the group which is all about more viability in the sewing community for us over 50's. The idea is that you make a garment from a sewing pattern where the model used is in their late 40's upwards. You'd be amazed how few patterns there are that fit the criteria, so I am all for supporting those companies who recognise we are here. I was a teen in the 80s (one day I'll post some Gothy photos to prove it) I'm not prepared to be written off as an old fuddy-duddy now I've hit 50, I have every intention of growing disgracefully. I knew that the Sewing Revival's sewing patterns would fit the criteria and low and behold Style c of the Heron top was exactly what I was looking for - kind of shirty, raglan sleeves, no buttons, no collarstand - easy.
The instructions that come with these patterns are great, very detailed and it really was an effortless op to make. However, I did make the mistake of not looking at how the pattern fell before cutting out, so I've ended up with the large pink flower hitting the centre front on both sides of the seam. It's not the end of the world, but a reminder to always check. I love this top, I have to say the fabric feels absolutely wonderful against my skin and I know it's going to become a spring/summer staple.
In the meantime, I was looking at the SewMeSunshine online shop and spotted this Atelier Brunette Moonstone viscose in Ochre. I've been coveting the blue version for a while, but when I saw the Ochre, I couldn't resist and I knew it would make a great Heron top. The fabric arrived the day after I finished the first version, while I was pre-washing and drying it I had a look at how to hack the pattern to avoid the centre front seam.
The front pattern piece angles to the side to form a grown on facing, I just used this to copy the shape, marked where the stitching started and drafted my own facing. I simply folded down the stitching line on the front paper pattern piece and cut it on the fold, and sewed the facing right side to right side along the centre front to form a V. I cut as close to the V as possible and pulled it through to the wrong side, under stitched and pressed it. I haven't top stitched the facing down and so far it's not attempting to poke through.
With these two tops and the Rosellas I'm all set for tops for the next couple of months, in theory I won't be sewing any more but in practice I've already started.